Wednesday, March 12, 2008

England all the way huh...

While all four teams making it to the Champions' League Quarter-finals are English Premier League teams...I feel I must make note of a certain "official" ranking site. I do this also because it is the EPL that is frequently touted as the greatest league with the greatest teams. An example would be the recent quote from Man. U.'s Sir Alex Ferguson, "'The Premier League is the strongest in Europe.
Personally, I agree with That's On Point's latest take on this, in which the top EPL teams are better than other leagues' top teams, but with the money the EPL has to spend how could they not buy the best teams?? But, to consider all teams from the top to the bottom I think the UEFA ranking is more correct.

While I may be a little biased, I still believe this "official" ranking holds true. Just look at the point spreads of each league. Currently, the comparison between the top and the bottom teams of each league are EPL = 56 points, Italy Series A = 46 points, La Liga = 43 and even the Bundesliga is only seperated by 33 points. I could be wrong but I think I remember a time last year (after the winter break) in which the top ten La Liga teams were only seperateda by about 12 points. I know this isn't the only indicator, some could say the whole league is subpar (and we know this isn't true), but when you have that strong of a league, there won't be as big of a spread.

Just wanted to put that out there.

(Total sidenote that I also just wanted to add: Here's an article about attendance for leagues all over Europe vs MLS.)

No comments: