Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A new dawning...in many ways.

This will be a short one, I feel like i've gotta put something down in here to get the ba...blog rolling.

First, if you don't know already, FC St Pauli did it. They got promoted and will be playing "with the big boys" this season, the 1st Bundesliga. I don't know what their first season back will be like, but i'm hoping to catch a match in person in case they don't fare too well.

In light of this news, here are a couple bits of info for ya that I find interesting or entertaining.

First we have info that Naki WILL remain at St. Pauli. This is definitely good news. Granted, many will say picking up bigger names or new and upcoming talent is needed, i also like the devotion that most St Pauli players and staff show in this promotion.

Next up, rumors were flying that Arsenal defender Sol Campbell was offered a one year contract. But at this point it seems St Pauli could be low on that totem pole.

For now, that's enough about the transfers... I don't usually pay attention to that until the season starts anyway. Something else I don't usually pay attention to are the new jerseys that come out every year. I know it's all about marketing and making money for the team/corporation, but I can't buy into that (partially because I don't have the kinda scratch you'd need to buy one for all the teams (or jerseys) I like every year... BUT, with St Pauli being promoted this year AND it being their centennial anniversary, I will be picking up a trikot at some point (hopefully in the fan shop outside the stadium). Heck, I might even buy a couple of them in celebration, especially if they do play well this year. I'm kinda waiting to see what the "third jersey" will look like before I pick out my "first one." Seems as though a lot of folks will be jumping on this bandwagon, i'm sure their fan base will grow quite a bit this year (which is always a double edged sword).

I could add a few things about Sevilla and their preparation for the new season but all I know so far is Fabiano will be staying even though there were rumors he might be picked up by AC Milan or Tottenham.

No comments: